That are the most readily useful male/female cavy fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the absolute most issues in their social life. I hope this short article will causes things effortless them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want one or more guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are particularly social animals, it will always be suggested they reside with a minumum of one another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, it doesn’t matter how enough time you may spend with her or him, since you are not (presumably, when you are looking over this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply russian mail order bride does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, they trying to say to us although we can mostly understand what are.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less interested, less vocal, less active, less funny. It’s not normal for them to live with no other of these sort.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also sleep cuddled up together.
Whenever selecting cage mates, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – since there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood dog shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, because you can help to save the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, very is dependent upon your geographic location and guinea pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining if your guinea pig is a boar or a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of the animal that is male. It is composed of getting rid of the testicles.
- Spaying: a term that is general to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It comprises of an eradication of the sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or perhaps a significantly big component. It really is a extreme and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both spaying and neutering are medical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. They’re mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is advisable to truly save the people which occur then to reproduce brand new people.
If having an option, always neuter your male guinea pig. The procedure is much more complicated for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly check with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You should be 100% certain that the sex is known by you of one’s guinea pigs. You can find great pages for this, like with this website website link. If you should be nevertheless unsure concerning the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t depend on the given information directed at you because of the animal shop workers.
- Prepare a sizable cage that is enough you will find the minimal suggested measurements regarding the guinea pig cages web page.
- If having two males, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these may have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage accessories must certanly be washed vinegar that is using to eliminate all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can be suggested to eliminate the prevailing “personal touch”.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage regarding the comer that is new. Like that the newbie would smell like a somewhat user of this herd.
- Quarantine period for a guinea pig that is new. Your brand new guinea pig could carry some diseases which may incubate for a time, and distribute among your current cavies. Consequently, you will need to quarantine your brand new guinea pig for at least fourteen days, therefore prospective health problems would show over time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The after guinea pig matches are purchased from easiest to potentially problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig associated with the same sex
- Neutered male plus one or maybe more females
- Two females. It’s possible which they will never get along will depend on their characters
- Two men could reside in harmony, but that depends upon a case that is specific again, in the character for the guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- Whenever presenting brand new guinea pig, never place your brand brand new guinea pig straight within the cage where your old guinea pig is residing.
- Their very very very first conference ought to be done on the big, enclosed ground that is“neutral – somewhere outside of the cage, in a place this is certainly a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of the kitchen area or your bathroom.
- Spot a heap of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center regarding the area.
- Spot your entire guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, in the event they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all of this might happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring combined with swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a thing that is natural them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This may simply just take about hour; from then on, you need to nevertheless observe them for the next handful of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they ought to appear more comfortable with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour into the cage for the next time frame, in order to be certain these are typically okay.
- If they don’t appear to get on after their time together committed regarding the ground that is neutral read further. If they begin to get actually aggressive and fight, you will have to throw a towel during the aggressive one and separate one from another.
6. Imagine if they don’t go along?
It will be possible that your particular guinea pigs won’t go along, regardless of what you will do and just how very very carefully you’ve got browse the guidelines with this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened – nature simply works this way.
Should this happen, you will need certainly to have them divided in some manner. The most sensible thing to accomplish is always to have them near sufficient so that they could see, smell and keep in touch with one another, but are divided with a few types of a partition. They’ve been nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig inside their vicinity will be a deal that is great them.